Fourth Deadly and Unprovoked Attack on Camp Liberty Residents Underscores Need for Administration to Push Iraqi Government and the UN to Do More for their Protection, Says Ros-Lehtinen

Dec 27, 2013

Fourth Deadly and Unprovoked Attack on Camp Liberty Residents Underscores Need for Administration to Push Iraqi Government and the UN to Do More for their Protection, Says Ros-Lehtinen

Miami, Florida – U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), Chairman of the Subcommittee on the Middle East and North Africa, made the following statement today following the latest deadly, unprovoked attack against Camp Liberty yesterday that killed two and left a number more in critical condition. Statement by Ros-Lehtinen:

“This latest attack is the fourth of its kind on Camp Liberty this year, and those responsible must be swiftly brought to justice. For over a year now, I have urged the Administration to take immediate action to ensure that the residents of the camp are provided the safety and the security they were guaranteed in a memorandum of understanding with the Government of Iraq and the UN. Sadly, neither party has been willing to live up to its obligations and the vicious and unprovoked attacks continue, both on Camp Liberty and Camp Ashraf.

Both the UN and the Iraqi government must take the steps necessary to protect the residents of Camp Liberty and Camp Ashraf until they can be safely relocated. This includes the installation of t-walls and other measures that can be done to make the Camps more secure. Last month I pressed Secretary Kerry to use the full leverage of the State Department and the Administration to press the Iraqi government's swift action on this installation, and will continue to do so until these residents are sufficiently protected."